Sunday, September 9, 2012

Forced Organization

I haven't written in a while because I have been getting ready for an unexpected change in our lives/schedule.    I was asked to teach music at a local school- out of the blue.  This will definitely change our schedules, our day and the way we handle our everyday paperwork.

We will continue to home-school our 11 year old, send our two middle kids to private school, and chase after the 3 year old at home.  There will be lots of paper work to juggle.  I am not an organized person by nature, so this will be a stretch.

First, I had to find all the books, materials, paperwork...etc. for music teaching that I had set aside 11 years ago when I had my son.  I have to admit, it was so fun to go through all the stuff and see how much I stretched my students.  I saw cards that they wrote to me.  It was really nice to see!

This is what I ended up with.
We don't have an office on our first floor anywhere and we don't have too much shelf space.  So I was trying to figure out what to do with all this stuff.  I kept what I thought I needed and I reorganized all the shelves in the family room to accommodate it.

Our son has a room that is dedicated to just his homeschooling but it is downstairs and out of the central area of the home where I would need my materials.

There is a shelf dedicated to music books, handouts, portfolio, testing, concert planning.


This shelf is for music teaching materials and home school tests/quizzes


 the last shelf is for the wii paraphernalia and his binders that hold all of his graded work for all subjects and his Art books:



I then had to tackle the amount of paper coming into the house.  We have three kids in school, two in soccer, Hubby is leading a Lego Robotics club and an Awana club.  I am helping in Awana, teaching music at school and helping to lead worship at church 2 Sundays/month.  
So, needless to say, things are definitely crazy here.

This was my solution to tackle the papers coming in:



The top 3 bins are for our school age children, the bottom is  for hubby and I to share and the planner in front is the Brain of the house.  It's the go to place to see what's going on.


Please pray for us as we enter this new phase.  It'll be difficult to juggle all these things but they are all things where we feel called and we are blessed by them.  

Two Junk Drawers consolidated into 1!  With an electronics drawer.  See BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES:



BEFORE


After

No comments:

Post a Comment