Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Surrounded by what?

I've been watching a heated discussion on Facebook.  It is all about homeschooling vs. public school- what we teach our kids etc.  It is interesting to watch everyone's ideas and perspectives on this topic.  Some feel lead to home school - others do not and that's ok.  There are great families out there that send their kids to public school.  And, I see rotten attitudes from kids in all realms.

The truth of the matter is, how hard are you working at the goals you have for your family?  What are your goals?  Do you have any?  What do you want your child to look like (attitudinal) when they are adults?  Have you even thought about it?  I personally do not have a list- although maybe I should.  But, I know what I want in my kids and try very hard to get there.

For example: I do not want kids who talk back to adults.  I want to have kids who are compassionate, generous, helpful, etc. I want my kids to reach out- be service oriented.  I don't always achieve these things in my children, but that is my goal.  For me, my goals did not line up with Public school.  They don't teach these things in school so, I need to.  Unfortunately, I've seen way too many kids bring home the bad habits of other kids not the good ones.

I would love that my kids turn out to be huge brainiacs too, but we will see in the future how that turns out.

Friends are another huge factor!  With whom does your child spend the most time?  Who is over at your house?  If there is a child that is bringing detrimental attitudes into our home, we stop having them over or take a break.  If a child has to take a break (for a few months)- I do suggest trying them again when they are older.  Maturity can definitely help a child to know what you expect in your home.

So, I suggest to you that if you struggle with a decision to do public/homeschool/private think about your goals.  How do your goals line up with the choices available?  What do you want your child to look like as an adult?  And, with whom should you surround yourself and your children? And, above all else, PRAY.



No comments:

Post a Comment