Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Laundry Part 1- "the helper"


CONFESSION #1 - I have tried all these ideas at one point in time and they have helped me through a phase of life where I needed it. I do not do all of these at the same time nor do I use these forever.  I would go crazy if I did.  I am a creature of perpetual change and so I like to switch things up a lot.  


I love that my hubby helps around the house!  He's willing and able to do things if I ask, for the most part.  Sorting the laundry, however, was not his strong point.  With three boys, we had a mountain of boy clothes, tons of stained socks and lots of various sized tighty-whities!  Whenever hubby would sort the laundry, the boys would yell from their room constantly, "These aren't my _________ (fill in the blank)".  This constant beckon call was creating more work for me than I bargained for.  I would trudge up the stairs, grab the item, figure out whose it was and then place it in the correct drawer.  

Needless to say, we could not continue on this way!  So, I called a friend who has six boys!  She must have an answer to the, "same gender- similar hiney size," problem.  She had the answer I was looking for! She suggested putting a single dot on each article of clothing for the biggest (oldest) child- on the tag.  She then said do two dots for the second child and three for the youngest.  When the kids outgrow those clothes, add a second dot to all the single dot clothes for the second child.....add a third dot to the double dot clothes for the third child. etc.... I hope that makes sense.

I took this method one step further because I labeled each drawer for the child so they knew exactly where to put the clothes.  Example :   B's shirts .  B's Pants.   (those periods are supposed to be dots- lame!)  

This way my kids had no excuse and could put things exactly where they need to go!   So, have fun with the laundry and let me know how it's going! 

No comments:

Post a Comment