Thursday, August 16, 2012

Experimenting on my kids

Ok, admit it, we all try new things out on our kids without their knowledge right?  Well, I am on a mission.  I have have two children that are "crunchy snackers".  They gravitate toward everything crunchy/salty for snacks.  They won't pick up fruit unless I make them.  They eat their vegetables on their plate only because they have to.  Now, is the appointed time.  The time for change! Thanks to pinterest and my love of surfing the web for creative ways to do practically anything, I stumbled upon a great idea.  Ready-made smoothie packs!  www.budgetbytes.blogspot.com is the site with the yummy idea. I will explain below:

I went to Aldi's (because I don't want this to cost a fortune) and bought
2 Avacados- $1.12 (1/4 of an avacado per bag)
4 bananas- ? cheap- (1/2 of a banana per bag)
a bag of spinach- $1.99
bag of frozen blueberries- $1.99
bag of frozen strawberries- $1.99
bag of frozen blueberries- $1.99

I divided all ingredients between 8 quart freezer bags.
Then the bags went into the freezer.

She then suggests to put a bag of ingredients into the food processor with 1 1/2 cups of milk, a tablespoon of flax meal, cinnamon, vanilla (a touch), and a Tablespoon of honey.

I now have breakfast for the next 7 days.  Hopefully, my kids will like it and I can add it into their diet too!
I'll let you know how it goes.  We're trying it tonight :-)

2 comments:

  1. How did it go? :) I just had a chance to look at your blog. It seems your off to a nice start! Happy Bloging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually went pretty well. Two kids liked it and two did not. But I got a friend to eat it at our house today (and he liked it). I can't wait to tell his mom that he had spinach and avacado! I added a little extra honey, vanilla, and cinnamon today. And, I must say, it's quite good!

    ReplyDelete